Writing Curtsies Docs

22 Nov 2014

I finally bit the bullet and wrote documentation for Curtsies this last weekend. This required getting familiar with a few new tools like reStructuredText and Sphinx’s additions to it, including learning enough about those projects’ internals to write a hacky custom directive and parser for displaying ANSI escape code-containing terminal output. But the most interesting part was the thinking about my library’s public API this forced me to do.

  • The large examples are mostly about using all the components of my library together. Is this bad? Will it be clear that they can be used separately? Does this indicate these components are more coupled that I thought?

  • Could I have written this documentation first, and then implemented the library?

I couldn’t resist making some of the changes as I was writing the docs so I wouldn’t have to carefully describe the convoluted current state of the project, but I tried to save all the really breaking changes for after I finished my documentation adventures. Here’s what I want to change soon:

  • rename most of my objects

    • FmtStr -> ColoredString? AttributedString? FormattedString?
    • FSArray -> Grid? ColoredGrid?
    • Input.scheduled_event_trigger is a terrible name - it’s a method on an Input object that returns a callback which when called schedules an event for at a specifid future time. I’m not sure what to call it instead.
  • less magic, or make the magic optional; there should be regular methods to which __setitem__ and __setitem__ defer

  • FmtStr objects should index on characters, but FSArrays should be width-indexed

  • use the terminal width of strings instead of their length for formatting

  • use constants instead of strings for key names, ideally copy someone else’s names; I resisted this because I like the way comparing a retrieved event against strings looked, but it’s just not worth the confusion

  • normalize key names - eliminate inconsistencies like <Ctrl-a> but <Esc+Ctrl-A>

  • some special characters lose their special names when used with modifier keys, for example: <TAB>, <Shift-TAB>, <Esc+Ctrl-Y>

  • the constructor for FmtStr should be useful, the current __init__ that requires passing instances of a class that isn’t part of the public API so some internal code is slightly prettier isn’t worth it

  • Window.keep_last_line is the wrong name, it should be Window.keep_cursor_line

  • I shouldn’t expose the fileno method on Input because it’s hard to use properly

  • the coroutine-imitating interface of Input isn’t useful; either I should come up with an example of how Input could be used like a coroutine or it shouldn’t be described it as such

Other lessons from doc writing:

  • Mary suggested docs that are all on a single page are nice, and it turns out you can still use the provided ReadTheDocs build process and theme with the single page HTML sphinx build target.

  • It’s fun to write things that will show up on a pretty website where anyone can read them, and it’s most fun to write documentation when you’re procrastinating something else. (I should have been catching up on email and practicing a talk last weekend.)